Friday, February 7, 2014

Goodbye, Mr. Leno. Hello, Mr. Kimmel




Yes, I stayed up late last night and watched through until the end.

I’ve been watching Leno for much of the last 22 years, enjoying his monologues and the comedy bits, though falling asleep during the guests. Headlines was my favorite bit. I also liked Jaywalking. However, I remember some of his earlier skits like Mr. Brain, Iron Jay, and Beyondo. For me, Leno was a way to call it a day at the end of a day. I think everyone needs a laugh before they go to bed.

Before Leno, it was Carson. Carson was unbelievable. Jay Leno carried on that tradition, and even strengthened The Tonight Show brand.

However, I’ve decided, when the Olympics is over, that I will move on from the Tonight Show.

After the Olympics is over, I will start watching Jimmy Kimmel. Fallon’s a brilliant talent, but I’ve decided that it won’t be the same. As brilliant as Fallon is, he’s blatantly open about his politics and has no qualms using his show to promote them. The Tonight Show has always been above that fray. It’s part of what makes the brand special. Also, I know that Jimmy Kimmel is entertaining, so I’ll see how it goes.

The Tonight Show dropped in viewers after Leno took over from Carson and it took two years, and an interview with Hugh Grant, to bring people back.

I don’t know if I’ll ever be back.


Jay Leno picture from go.standard.net

No comments: