Tuesday, October 9, 2012

One More Step To Go





My son became a Life Scout last night.

For those of you unfamiliar with scouting, Life Scout is the rank just below Eagle Scout. The rank order is Scout -> Tenderfoot -> Second Class -> First Class -> Star -> Life -> Eagle. In the history of scouting, just over 2% of Boy Scouts have become Eagle Scouts.

I’m proud of how far my son has gotten. He’s wanted to be an Eagle Scout ever since he became a Boy Scout. He started years ago, mapping out his course. Now he has only one step left and has a little over two years left to achieve that final step. Once he turns 18, he’ll age out of Scouting. He has to earn his Eagle rank before then. He has two more merit badges to acquire. That will be the easy part. He has an Eagle project to complete. That will be the hard part.

My son is now a freshman in high school. His homework amount has increased dramatically from middle school. He’s also in marching band and that takes a great deal of commitment. There are several other Life Scouts in his troop that are sophomores in high school. They’ve told him to get working on his project as soon as can. He’ll have less and less time as he gets older. Those sophomores are already feeling the challenge of finishing their projects.

As I was driving my son home from his scout meeting, I congratulated him on earning his latest rank. Then, I asked him if he’d given any thought to his project. He said he’d work on it beginning next week.

For now, he just wanted to enjoy it and get some sleep.

I have no doubt he’ll make it.


2 comments:

Donna Volkenannt said...

Congratulations to you and your son. He sounds like a wonderful young man; you have reason to be proud of him!

Walt Mussell said...

Donna, thank you. My wife and I are very proud of him.