Tuesday, May 29, 2012

To Do


Sometimes, I sit in front of my computer and wonder what I’m going to post on my blog. If I write something and do a poor job of it, my wife will look at me and say “you mailed it in.”

Hopefully, I’ve never really “mailed it in,” but there are times when a column hits me well before the day I write and then sometimes where I look at something I prepared for a post and totally scrap it at the last minute and compose something new.

Sometimes, though, I’m just at a loss for words.

Last week was one of those times.

It’s not that was looking for something to write. It’s that I didn’t know what to say.

Last Wednesday was the last day of school. We have just over two months before school starts again. And something in me realized that that one of my kids will be in high school and one of my kids will begin his last year of elementary school. It feels like both of them are moving to a point where they won’t be kids anymore.

The summer is already packed. My younger son, looking forward to football in the fall, is scheduled for football/agility camp this summer to get him into shape before the fall. He’ll be busy. My older son will have both band camp and boy scout camp this summer.  He’ll be busy, too. We’ve squeezed in a beach trip for one point in the summer where it’s available. My kids won’t lack for activities.

But will I find that I lack for time. They are getting busier as they get older. My time with them has shrunk and will continue to do so. Am I taking advantage of what time I have to spend with them?

I hope so.

Because as they get older, I’m more cognizant of the scant time I have left.

No comments: