Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Letter to George Lucas






My 10-year old is a Star Wars fanatic.

I admit that I enjoyed the movie growing up. I don’t remember when I first saw Star Wars. However, I do remember owning a cassette with a truncated version of the movie on it that I listened to often. I remember waiting in line a couple of hours for tickets to see Return of the Jedi. (I came from a small town. There weren’t that many people who could stand in line at the theater, which is why it was only two hours.)

My son, though, is nuts for it. He especially likes the bad guys. His Sith Master is my cousin, Kevin, who lives in Oregon. At a Super Bowl party a few years ago, Kevin nicknamed him Darth Garbage. He recently promoted him to Darth Recycle Bin. One day, if my son is lucky, he will earn the nickname Darth Trash Compactor.

Last Friday, with Star Wars I in 3-D opening in the theaters, we chose to watch it at home. Despite having seen the movie many times, he still hung on every word.

One of his fondest hopes is that George Lucas will produce more Star Wars movies, but has long contented himself with six. However, sometime this weekend, I mentioned to him that George Lucas had the idea for three more movies, Episodes VII-IX, to take place after Return of the Jedi.

He couldn’t believe it and asked what George Lucas was waiting for.

Honestly, I read this somewhere once long ago so I don’t remember where I saw it. But I told him that George Lucas got fed up with negative comments he heard about the storyline in Episodes I-III and decided he didn’t need to make any more movies.

The news devastated my son. He decided to take matters into his own hands.

He’s writing a letter to George Lucas, begging him to reconsider his decision. He wrote one letter and then decided it wasn’t good enough. He then tried again, writing a longer one. He’s still adding reasons even today. He plans to spend about a week editing, and then he’ll send it. He asked me to look it up his address on-line. I did and gave it to him.

I asked my son if I could see his letter. He refused, saying it was only meant for George Lucas. I did warn him that it was likely an assistant of Mr. Lucas’s would read the letter as Mr. Lucas gets lots of fan mail.

My son believes his letter will get through. He believes his George Lucas letter will change Mr. Lucas's mind after he reads it.

No, my son does not believe in the force.

However, he does believe that Star Wars is the greatest movie ever.

Hopefully, that will be enough.






Note: Poster above from http://www.allposters.com/.






Very Special Note: Since my wife usually reads my blog posts, I wanted to say Happy Valentine's day, Honey. I love you very much!

4 comments:

irishoma said...

I hope George Lucas answers your son's letter.
Donna

Melissa said...

This is Priceless!! :)

Walt Mussell said...

Donna, I hope he does, too. It would be one of those kid moments he remembers for the rest of his life.

Melissa, thank you. My kid has three light sabers. He's enamored with the whole series.

Lydia Kang said...

Aw, that was so cute! I hope he gets his wish. :)