Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pitchers and Catchers Report

The above title normally applies to February.

In February, pitcher and catchers will report for a new season of major league baseball. The playoffs have just begun, so we’re a long way from thinking about next year.

However, for the first time in several months, my nine-year old, who wants to spell the Braves’ Craig Kimbrel in the bullpen (he’s already adopted his mannerisms), threw pitches with me in our driveway. It was a tense opening. My nine-year old has been playing or practicing football since July. Neither of us opened very well. Balls were overthrown and underthrown. We’re not ready for the season.

Still, he threw some good pitches, too (I thought so anyway). He threw a few strikes and put a few close balls in there that an umpire might call strikes. Then there were the wid pitches, though I may just be getting slow. When a ball gets by me, I hope it gets stopped by the fence behind me. Unfortunately, it’s not solid like the wall behind a major league home plate. Many balls get into the backyard and we have to go get them One ball went into the bushes. We still can’t find it.

But it was a good first session. And, we can keep at it until the weather gets cold.

Next season awaits.

No comments: