Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Elisha's Request

When they had crossed over, Elijah said to Elisha, "Request whatever I might do for you, before I am taken from you.” Elisha answered, "May I receive a double portion of your spirit."

-2 Kings 2:9



Football season has started.

It’s been a long time coming. Two years ago, when our 9-year old was only just seven, he begged us to let him play football. Knowing his penchant for taking up new hobbies and then losing interest (a trait my wife would say was inherited from me), we told him he would have to wait for a year. A year later, with him now 8-years old, still wanting to play, and willing to invest his Christmas and birthday money in equipment, we agreed to let him play football. He had a blast. We enjoyed it, too. And we told him he could play again if he wanted to do so.

Last season, when his team was in the playoffs, we went to the pastor after church and requested a blessing for safety.

This year, though, we didn’t wait until the end.

Back in July, with pre-season agility camps in swing, we went ahead and requested a blessing. As my son really likes our associate pastor, we approached him after church and he was happy to do it.

A few weeks later, back from vacation and ready for the season, my son decided one blessing wasn’t enough. This time, after church, he approached the pastor and asked for a blessing for football season. The pastor was happy to oblige.

Maybe it’s a little crazy to go twice for a blessing for the same thing, but when I see the recent tragic events of high school kids dying at football practice, I don’t once question the wisdom of getting a double portion of spirit. With the heat, the coaches of my son’s team have made sure that the kids get plenty of water and breaks as well as practicing without pads. We also make sure that our son drinks plenty of fluids at home.

Hopefully, the weather will cool off soon to the type of weather that football was meant to be played in. Still, even when it does, we’ll take all the blessings we can get.

2 comments:

Lydia K said...

I hope they have a fun and rewarding football season with no injuries. Two helpings of blessings sounds reasonable to me. :)

Walt Mussell said...

So far, so good. I keep hoping he stays healthy.