Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Exhibition of Pictures

My third grade son took a trip recently to downtown Atlanta to see how government works. (A bunch of third graders watching adults act like third graders. It promised to be fun.)

One of the things he wanted to do on his visit to the capitol was to take pictures. This was not a first for him. He often borrows his Mom’s camera and takes pictures of my wife and me when we’re on family trips. He will also borrow the camera at family gatherings. (My wife says he’s a better photographer than I am. My wife also blames my poor photography as the reason for having no decent pictures of her for several years of our marriage.)

Still, there was no way my son was going to be allowed to take my wife’s camera to downtown Atlanta without his Mother or I with him. So, my wife bought a disposable camera for about five bucks at Wal-Mart. He happily took it with him and finished off the roll that afternoon.

The problem came when we tried to get them developed.

My wife initially took the camera to CostCo, a place where we get pictures developed when we want prints made from the disc in her camera. CostCo turned her away. They don’t handle film anymore. She drove to a couple more places. No luck

Eventually, she figured out one place that might take the pictures (I think she went back to Wal-Mart.) and was able to drop them off. It was relatively costly compared to what people used to pay for things like this. Gone were the days of double prints for a low price. Developing film was a service the store still offered, but they didn’t do a lot of it. We got single prints and it was costlier than what we pay for prints from a disc.

My older son has a school trip soon. He’s going up to Tennessee. My wife is considering sending a disposable camera with him as well. (Yes, he’s also a better photographer than I am.) I look forward to seeing the pictures of his trip.

A few weeks ago, my younger son asked me if I was around when people played music on ‘big black CDs.” I told him the word was “records” and said I had been around.

I never expected developing film to go the way of the record.

No comments: