Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Time at the Movies.



We all love a good movie. We often watch them together, either going to a theater or getting a movie off of cable. We also have a lot of DVDs at out house. The boys will watch their favorites periodically. We’ve also taken some away either for disciplinary reasons or because the movie, which we didn’t see in the theater, was more than we thought our boys should be watching.

However, I have a small collection of DVDs, full of my favorites. The biggest problem with my collection?

No one wants to watch them with me.

I have a collection of all of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes’ movies. The man was the best Holmes’ ever. I have a copy of Robin Hood, the Errol Flynn version. (Rathbone plays Sir Guy of Gisbourne in this one. As Rathbone was apparently the worst fencer in Hollywood, Flynn demanded a double on all fight scenes.) I also have my Christmas movies, that I put the kids through each year. Then there’s Excalibur, a semi-violent King Arthur saga that I’m not going let the kids watch until they’re old enough to be on their own.

However, every Easter, I pull out one of my favorites: The Ten Commandments. Starring Charlton Heston, the movie is a mixture of pageantry that never ceases to amaze me (along with Anne Baxter as Nefretiri, who also never ceases to amaze me). There have been days when my kids have asked me Biblical questions and I’ve pulled the movie out if I could to show a certain Biblical event. They haven’t minded it then. However, watching the whole thing from start-to-finish is something no one but me cares to do.

This year I gave up on them. I watched the movie in pieces over the course of the two weeks leading up to Easter. I didn’t ask them to join me. I just accepted that I would have to do it on my own. Apparently, that was fine with them. I’m sure my wife saw the DVD downstairs. She knows I never bothered her with it. And the kids never asked.

Maybe next year, they’ll remember they didn’t watch it and they’ll ask me to trot it out. We could make popcorn and watch it again as a family. Or maybe I’ll have to watch it again on my own.

Oh well. If that’s the only thing we don’t do as a family, I can live with that.

Do you have movies you love that your family doesn’t want to watch with you?

No comments: