Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Teenage Gentleman

I have the pleasure of working from home several times during the week. I have to admit I enjoy this perk, especially in times of skyrocketing gas prices.

However, I also enjoy it for another reason. I get to take my kids to school.

For my younger son, I usually find myself dropping him off at a normal time. This means I line up with the other parents, climbing that small hill to the zone where a couple of teachers wait at the side entrance to make sure that the kids who are let off make it into the building.

For my older son, though, it’s a different story.

My older son, a music lover, goes to school early to participate. This means when I take my 13-year old to school, there isn’t any faculty around. On those days I wait until he gets inside the school before I leave. I notice I’m not the only parent who does this. Sometimes, he waves me away and tells me to get going. Most of the time he just puts up with me.

Last Friday, though. I noticed something else. As my son approached the school door, there were two girls coming up behind him. I guessed they were 8th graders. (They were both taller than my son and they looked older.) Then I realized my son noticed them, too. At the door, my son stopped, pulled open the door, and held it open so the two girls could walk through first.

I got a little pride at this at first and I didn’t know why. I was watching my teenage son show manners. It’s not like I haven’t seen him do it before. At church each week, he holds the door open for his Mom and me. (Showing respect for one’s elders. Always a plus.) But to watch him do that at school, it struck me as being a little different.

So, being the typical Dad, I do what any Dad would do, I told my wife.

“Honey, you’ll never guess what our son did.”

My wife’s response.

“That’s amazing. I wonder where he learned it from.”

And of course, I Tweeted it and posted it on Facebook. And the people who grew up with me wondered where my son got it from, too.

And of course, I mentioned it to my son. His response to say that it was no big deal.

And then he asked me not to post it on my blog.

Oh well. He probably won’t read this post anyway.

3 comments:

Victoria Dixon said...

LOL That's funny. Wonder where he got it from, indeed.

Well done, Dad. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, I'm telling... LOL

That is so sweet. He's obviously picking up good manners from his example at home. :)

Walt Mussell said...

I hope he's picking up his manners somewhere. :-)