Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Worth A Smile

A little bit of disclosure about myself. I attended Auburn University.

For those of you that pay attention to college football, Auburn had an important game last Saturday. (For those of you that don’t know, Auburn, unbeaten and in the Top Ten in the nation, faced LSU, also unbeaten and in the Top Ten in the nation. Auburn won and is now the #1 team in the nation in the poll that determines who plays for the championship at the end of the season.)

Usually, I’m hard to reach mentally when Auburn is on TV.

Saturday was a different story.

We had a tiring family day this past Saturday. We opened it up at 9:00 a.m. with my older son’s fall baseball team playing the final game of their regular season. My son’s team won 7-6, stranding the tying runner at third base after he reached there with less than two outs. My older son went 1-3 on the day, thrown out at second when he tried to stretch his single into a double.

When that game ended, we headed to another location in Gwinnett County for the first round of the playoffs for my younger son’s football team. My son’s team trailed 14-13 at the half but had an awesome third quarter to finish with a 47-27 victory.

So what does this have to do with Auburn vs. LSU?

I missed the first part of the Auburn – LSU game because of the end of my son’s game. No big deal. Any parent would have done the same. Had I even had a second thought about paying more attention to the TV game than my son’s, I should be criticized, chided, lampooned. Pick your verb.

It was what we did Saturday night that drew gasps from friends.

You see, we had tickets for Saturday night’s hockey game between the Gwinnett Gladiators and the Florida Everblades. The tickets were about center ice down low and my younger son loves hockey. With them dropping the puck at 7:00, we left a little after 6:00 to give us time to be there for the start. In other words, I left during the third quarter.

Granted, I wasn’t completely cut off from it. A friend of mine texted me with updates on the game throughout the 4th quarter. I went nuts when I found out Auburn won. Still though, my younger son loves hockey. And the smile on his face, along with the Gladiators win, made missing the 4th quarter worthwhile.

As I read this, I think it sounds a little shameless. I did what a dad is supposed to do.

But sometimes it’s nice when little choices in life remind of us what’s really important.

No comments: