Friday, March 12, 2010

Two Places at Once

For the first two games of the baseball season, I kept score for my younger son’s team. I wanted to help my kids’ teams in some way and this was the most I could do. Given my commute, I never have time to be an assistant coach. Just getting to the games is hard enough.

On Tuesday night, though, I couldn’t even keep score.

On Tuesday night, both my sons had games at the same time. They were two fields apart. To keep score at one meant I couldn’t watch the other. So, I spent 90 minutes walking back and forth between two fields. It’s not a big deal. I’ve done it before. When the boys played in the Buford City League, they often played at adjacent fields. I’d watch both games from the outfield, thankful that none of the kids on either team had the capability to put it over the fence, especially while I was facing the other direction. There are often times that practices are about the same time. My wife and I do our best to get the kids where they need to be.

And then there are days like Thursday.

Both boys had practice at 5:30, a time which is nearly impossible for me to be at home to help my wife. The practice locations were at least ten miles apart. My wife, as amazing as she is, still can’t be in two places at once. And unfortunately, I couldn’t help her. She had to drop off one son at one place and get the other so to his practice late.

Sometimes, in this situation, you can ask friends. In the fall, there was another kid in the neighborhood who played on the same team as my older son. My son sometimes got a ride from them. No such luck this time around.

So, what do you do when faced with these situations? I’d love to her some suggestions.

1 comment:

Karen Roderick said...

Oh gosh Walt, that's a tough one, My boys are still very little (5 and 2) so I haven't had this dilemma yet, although my eldest boy has just started Rugby training with his dad. Unfortunately sometimes this happens, but as 21 century parents we want/expect ourselves to do everything for our kids and feel wretched if we can't - but it's great you and your wife work together, it's what it's all about.