Friday, December 11, 2009

When Reindeer Get Religion

“How was school today?” I asked my 7-year old son as he chomped away on his dinner.

“Great, Dad. We learned about reindeer.”

“Oh, really? What did you learn?”

“We learned people used to denominate them.”

I paused. “Denominate?”

“Mm-hmm. Denominate.”

My wife looked at me with a stare that said what? and I figured I must have returned one just like it as I wondered what might be the religious preferences of Santa’s reindeer. I realized I could never be certain. (After all, I don’t know them personally, except for the Christmas specials I watched growing up.) But, I could at least make some reasonable assumptions.

Dasher always has to be first, so that means he’s one of seven possibilities. As for Dancer, I had no clue how to get his religious preference , but as I figured “Dancer” was a nickname, I at least could eliminate a few choices. Comet was my best hope. As I learned in the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Special, he’s all about rules. This meant I could narrow it down to two possibilities, one of which is mine. And I figured Vixen and Cupid were atheists, else they would have changed their names.

Finally, it hit me and I looked directly at my son. “Do you mean, domesticate?”

“Yeah, domesticate. That’s it. They used to keep them and use them to help around the house and the farm.”

I nodded. “Yes, and in some places they still do.”

My wife commented. “Big word for a little boy.” She then glanced at me. “How’d you figure that one out?”

“It just came to me.”

“Your mind works in strange ways.”

She has NO idea.

The writer hopes everyone takes the above in the humor it was intended. However, even though he acknowledges that denominate doesn’t mean “to assign a religion,” it really was the first thing that popped into the author’s head.

6 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

That is hilarious, Walt!! I love the way a writer's mind works sometimes!!

Walt M said...

Thanks. I actually considered possibilities for the rest of the reindeer, but my inner editor kicked in and I stayed with a shorter version.

Keena Kincaid said...

L! M! A! O! This is so funny, and now I'm assigning all kinds of socio-economic categories to the reindeer in my head.

Walt M said...

Keena, glad you enjoyed it. That's just so like a writer. One little thing/idea and we start creating detailed character profiles. You gotta share. What did you come up with?

Eileen Astels Watson said...

So much fun. Thanks for sharing that. I just love what our children bring to our life.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

Walt M said...

Eileen, you're welcome. Thanks for dropping by here.

I'm constantly amazed by the things my two boys say. Don't think that will ever change.