Saturday, November 7, 2009

Auburn - Furman Wrap-Up

It was an interesting day today.

With my son camping with his Boy Scout troop and my wife out shopping with the girls this weekend, I took my 7-year old to his school’s fall festival. He played on jumpys (jumpies?). He also ate Chick-Fil-A for lunch (his favorite), won brownies in a cake walk, and built a colored sand sculpture.

From there, we headed to our favorite BBQ place and picked up two pounds worth. We got cole slaw, but forgot the baked beans. From there, we headed to Kroger to pick up some buns. My wife wanted BBQ sandwiches for dinner. We now had everything.

What does this have to do with anything. Easy. It was homecoming at Auburn and I thought I could relax.

Also, I listened to the radio when I could. It was homecoming at the University of Georgia, too. They were handling Tennessee Tech with ease. By the half it was 31-0 and UGA looked as if it was coasting. It was a needed win and “rest” after last week’s beat down at the hands of Florida. By the time I got home, UGA was still coasting. (They went on to win 38-0.)

Why focus on Georgia with the start of this post? Easy. It was homecoming at Auburn They were focused on Georgia, too.

When I got home from the early afternoon out with my son, I turned on my computer. It was halftime in the Auburn game as I pulled that game up on espn360. com. The score read 42-3 and I breathed a sigh of relief. It’s not that I’d been worried, but Auburn did take extra time in putting away Tennessee-Martin last year. I knew that Caudle would see a good half of football (and he needs it). Final score was Auburn: 63, Furman: 31. A decent score. If the first half score had been doubled, it would have looked like Auburn was running up the score. And as the subs played out the second half (and as I hoped those two 3rd quarter fumbles were anomalies), I turned my focus to next week.

When I set my predictions for this year, I predicted we’d end the season 7-5. Given that injuries could devastate even those chances, some people told me I was nuts. At this time, we’re 7-3.

And I hope my early season prediction doesn’t come true.

War Eagle!

No comments: