Sunday, September 13, 2009

Auburn vs. Mississipi State Wrap-Up 2009

Admit it. Watching this game was fun.

Actually, I should technically say “is.” It’s the 4th quarter as I start to write this. However, with us up four scores, I feel I can relax just a little. When we were up only three scores, I had in my mind the second quarter where MSU scored 17 points in rapid succession. As long as that possibility remained, I couldn’t relax.

The announcers mentioned that Trott is out and his knee is hurt. Hopefully, it’s not bad. To paraphrase Abe Lincoln, in a comment he made about Grant after (I think it was) Chancellorsville, we can’t spare this man. He hits.

For the second week in a row, Ben Tate and Ontario McCalebb (now going under the name of O-Mac), both gained over 100 yards. Last week, O-Mac became the first freshman since Bo Jackson to rush for more than 100 yards in his first game. I don’t remember if Bo rushed for 100+ in his second game, but I’m sure I’ll hear about it (or read about it) on Sunday. The announcers have stated that this is the first time that two backs have had back-to-back 100-yard games.

I’ve seen a lot of things to like tonight.

1) Auburn is running the football, despite having shifted to the Wildcat spread offense.
2) Auburn got punched in the mouth in the 2nd quarter, falling behind 17-14 after going up 14-0. Auburn got back up and scored immediately to retake the lead.
3) Again, with the chance to run out the clock in the first half, Auburn marched down the field and scored to make it 28-17.
4) When faced with 3rd and long and trying to run clock in the 4th quarter, Auburn chose to pass to keep the drive going. (Previously, Auburn would have run, hoped, and punted.)
5) Auburn has put Caudle in the game in order to get him some much needed game experience.
6) Auburn has people who can catch the ball.
7) Auburn’s cheerleaders (‘nuff said).
8) Kodi Burns (in all things)

Things not to like
1) Auburn’s defense allowed 24 points. This will never do. Our defense is thin in back-ups. We will see better offenses that will leave our defense winded.
2) Dan Mullen will have MSU playing at a higher level.

Auburn entertains West Virginia next week. WVU is 2-0 and a contender for the Big East crown, but unranked. An Auburn win would continue to support that things have changed on the Plains.

I can’t wait.

War Eagle!

No comments: