Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Different Paths

As I write this, I’m sitting in the Seattle-Tacoma airport, waiting for a flight that takes off in a little over 90 minutes. It wasn’t supposed to be this way, but I’ll take it. My family and I flew out to the Northwest for my brother-in-law’s wedding. We were supposed to be on a flight home already with a layover in San Francisco. However, circumstances forced us on to a different flight that leaves later. Realize I’m not complaining. The new flight is direct and gets us to Atlanta earlier than our original itinerary, which means I may get home in time to watch Desperate Housewives. (Can’t help the addiction. Teri Hatcher’s hot.) However, more importantly, and those of you who have traveled with small children before can attest to this, direct flights are always a plus.

There are a lot of Auburn fans in the Northwest. Oregon has a small contingent, though the number of Auburn grads in the Beaver state is exceeded by the number of Auburn grads at Boeing. Still, as a resident, I found the state’s love of college football, without the insane zealotry that accompanies it, welcome at times. I think SEC is king, but I don’t disparage Pac-10 football. It is fun.

I remember one time being at a job interview in Vancouver, a Washington city that is a suburb of Portland. My interviewer identified himself as a native, but added that he’d spent twenty years in Baton Rouge. His first question was rhetorical. “They don’t understand up here, do they?!”

But back to my point. I was against the Chizik hire. I still think it was stupid. However, he is the Auburn coach and that’s the path we trod in the immediate future. I have to admit that I like the staff he has assembled so far.

Then came recruiting.

I have to give Chizik his profs. He finished in the top twenty in recruiting in all major polls. Part of it was the group that Tuberville recruited. However, mostly on his own, since he didn’t have a huge staff, he managed to hold on to a number of key recruits while putting us in the hunt for several talented WRs, something Tuberville only did once, as well as some good QBs.

So, like the flight that I am about to board, what we have may not have been our first choice. However, given the initial reaction and performance, I’m hoping it turns out better. .

1 comment:

Aquanetta said...

I know how it is travelling with little ones, so I'm glad you got an earlier flight.