Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Look Back at Halloween 2008

I stepped on the scale this morning and watched nervously as a line ran across the LCD readout screen several times, figuring up the weight. It was taking extra long it seemed, a sure sign that my weight was ballooning. When the amount finally displayed on the readout, I realized, belatedly, where all the leftover Halloween candy, as well as the discount Halloween cookies my wife bought on November 1st, had gone. Fortunately, I can diet…again. Also, fortunately, some images will be with me much longer.

I spent Halloween night with two of my favorite people: Harry Potter and Jango Fett. Jango, aka my younger son, Christopher, was a little under the weather, but I was actually more worried about my older son, Andrew. When my wife took the boys costume shopping, she’d had looked for an Iron Man costume for Andrew, but none of what the stores had were big enough. Andrew knew what this meant. He was growing up. My wife put together a costume for him through dollar store items. Her biggest accomplishment was using a cereal box and felt to put together a prop that resembled the monster book from the movie, Prisoner of Azkaban. Mo worked similar magic for Christopher, taking a cereal box, plastic cups, and aluminum cans and creating a jet pack for Jango Fett.

Like Christopher, Mo was sick. However, she was ready to answer the door for the kids in the neighborhood, no matter how queasy it made her feel to stand up. With dusk approaching, she helped the boys get ready. I worked in the kitchen. The next day was Fall Festival. We had committed to four chocolate chess pies for the cakewalk. I put the first one in the oven and set the timer. I pre-made the second one and asked Mo to switch the pies out when the second one was ready. “Let’s go, boys!” I said.

We started down the street, going towards the front of the subdivision and opposite the direction of how we went last year. It seemed as if it was a slow night. We thought with it being a Friday, it would be packed. However, many people seemed to have left bowls of candy on their front porch with signs asking, “Take only one, please.” Still, we made the rounds, the boys knocking on every door and me saying “Hi” to neighbors I knew.

This year, like last year, Christopher tired early. However, our house is in the middle of the subdivision, so I dropped him off when we passed it. Andrew and I then headed to the rear of our subdivision for the final rounds of the night. As we headed home, Andrew decided he wanted to hit one more house. He knocked, but the occupants were gone. “One more?” I asked. “Nah, let’s go home,” he said.

As we walked the last few hundred feet to our house, I asked Andrew if he’d had a good time. He commented that he did, but said, “Daddy, next year, I’ll take Christopher out, like the other big brothers do.”

When we got home, I went back to pie making. Andrew took a shower, while Mo and I discussed the lack of visitors that evening. It was a nice night, so we figured the following:

1) People were voting and didn’t get home soon enough.
2) People were watching high school football (which explains why a number of cities in Alabama held trick-or-treat on Thursday).
3) People were at church, celebrating the day in 1517 when Martin Luther nailed 95 Theses to a church door in Wittenberg, Germany.

Whatever the reason, I got two more pies ready and called it a night.

No comments: