Saturday, October 18, 2008

Where Do We Go From Here

I feel the need to follow up on my short comment from my previous post.

We have played seven of our 12 games this season. Our five remaining opponents: West Virginia, Ole Miss, Tennessee Martin, Georgia, and Alabama. We need to beat at least two of them to add a 13th game to the season. I know we can win one. I find myself hopeful that we can win two.

I am looking at what were the remains of a season with great potential. An old football saying goes, “Offense wins games. Defense wins championships.” This year, we have the type of defense on which championship teams are built…and the offense failed miserably. It isn’t through a lack of talent. The players we have on offense are extremely talented. They’ve more talent than Vandy. They’ve more talent than Arkansas. They have as much talent as LSU. This team should be 6-1 or 7-0. Instead, they’re 4-3. In the Vandy game, the defense had miscues. In the Arkansas game, the defense fell apart and gave up over 400 yards. I don’t blame them. After having to carry the water for the offense for half the season, I think they just got tired.

And I lay the failure for this season not at the feel of Franklin, but of Tuberville. It was Tuberville’s idea to do to the offense what he did. Even a half-decent offense would have beaten both Vandy and Arkansas. We’d be in the hunt for the SEC West title. We’d be looking forward to the remaining five games, our emotions rising and falling each week. Instead, our dreams of championship this season have ended so early that the Tampa Bay Rays are still alive.

Yet, with five games, possibly six, we still have a chance to make it a good season. I expected us to lose two this year. With some breaks, I could be only one off. It wouldn’t be the season we’d hoped for, but still a season of that we could remember. That hope begins now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Stated Walt.
J. Salmon