Wednesday, June 11, 2008


I'm tired. I just returned from a two-week family vacation in Japan and am relaxing (recuperating) at home in Buford. My wife and kids are in Los Angeles, visiting with her parents, and will return home next week. Having been gone for two weeks, I decided I needed to return home and go back to work.

Visiting Japan is very important to our family and this was our third family excursion. My wife was born in Kobe and has extended family in Japan. Our first family trip to Japan was in fall '98. Andrew was almost 18 months and we wanted to show him off. We returned in late '04, when Andrew was seven and Christopher was nearly three. We plan to go again three years from now. Our kids are dual nationals and we feel it's important that they see the Japanese side of their family, appreciate their Mom's heritage, and enjoy what it means to be Japanese.

Like our previous trips, we tried to do as much as we possibly could. I didn't have my laptop with me, so I kept notes in a diary. (Given my hobby of writing, one of these days, I will have to get an Alphasmart.) Within a week, I will begin posting trip notes, presenting it as a daily log of the trip. I hope everyone will enjoy it and the pictures.


Debby Giusti said...

Hey Walt! I'll be watching for the photos of Japan. I lived there as a child and love the country and the people. Bet the boys enjoyed the trip!
You're a great dad!
All the best!
Debby Giusti

pleasantlypurple said...

I just stumbled across your blog while visiting the Atlanta Parent site. I also live in Buford and have a special needs child. He has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS and ODD. He also, like your son, has absence seizures. He has been on medicine since he was 14mths for the seizures, he is 6 now. His dr just upped his dose , again, and I feel didn't really listen to my concerns. I would love to know how your son is doing off medication now. I long for that day.

Walt M said...

Debby, thank you for your kind words. I'll start posting pictures after my wife returns.

Pleasantlypurple, my son is doing much better. He has had two grand mals since going off the medication, but is otherwise fine. Also, the medication side effects we were concerned about seem to be waning. We can't be certain that the two are connected, but we believe they are.

Walt M said...

One more note to Pleaseantlypurple: the pediatric seizure specialist we took Andrew to was Dr. Larry Olson at Emory Children's Center. You might seek a second opinion. In our case, it was a third opinion.