Monday, June 23, 2008

It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood...

Especially if your neighborhood is Turner Field.

Yesterday, my and I took our kids to watch the Braves and the Mariners. The Braves won 8-3, behind Mark Texeira's three HR outburst. My kids are Braves fans, so they cheered nearly every moment.

However, my younger son ended up slightly disappointed. He is a fan of Ichiro and wanted to see him "do something," but the Braves pitchers kept him off the base. With the score 8-0 at the top of the ninth and it being Sunday afternoon (i.e. Kids run the bases at Turner Field), we left in the top of the 9th to get in what was already a long line, stretching from the lower level entrance to the field to the top of the upper deck ramp.

Somewhere in that 9th inning, Ichiro got on base due to a Gotay error. He reached second on catcher indifference and scored on a single by Willie Bloomquist. My son was sorry he missed it, but did have a blast running the bases.

I had fun as well. It was my second Braves - Mariners game, as I lived in Portland when the Braves visited Seattle and I caught one of the games that weekend. It was only one of the three game series that the Braves won. Hampton threw eight great innings of three-hit, one run ball and the Braves won 8-1. (I saw the Braves play a year later in LA against the Dodgers. Hampton pitched again, meaning that I probably saw his most recent two pitching performances.)

In other news, the Chiba Lotte Marines are off until Friday, when they will play the Seibu Lions.

No comments: