Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thoughts on National Championships

Just got back from vacation. My wife and I spent a few days at Mobile's Mardi Gras. (Yes, Mobile, not New Orleans. More on that in the future.) It was a blast. My wife and I went without the kids and will definitely return. I did not have my computer with me, so no chance to post.

On Sunday evening, I did watch the Giants beat the Patriots 17-14. It was great game, though many of the commercials were pretty bad for a change. As the Giants hoisted the trophy, I did have one thought.

Championships are decided on the field. The underdogs can win and denying them even a chance makes it mythical. Yes, this is a reference to Auburn not even having an opportunity to play for the title in 2004. The naysayers still say Auburn wouldn't have had a chance, though at least one, Pete Fiutak, has commented that Auburn would have lost a seven games series to USC 4-2. The Giants had less of a chance against the Patriots and many are the carcasses of former unbeatable champoions that came up short when it all mattered.

On a related note, national letter of intent was yesterday. Alabama is the consensus choice as having the best recruiting class. Many Alabama fans will cite this as proof that Bama is back and is now dominating the state.

My response?

Championships are decided on the field.

3 comments:

Carol B. said...

How bad is it that I didn't even know who was playing in the Super Bowl? (That is the game you're talking about, right?)

Now that I've shown my ignorance, I think I'll just tiptoe away...

Walt M said...

Yes, Carol, I'm talking about the Super Bowl. :-)

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Walt,

When you get a chance, check out my blog... I tagged you to list six unimportant things we didn't know about you...

Have fun!!!

Tami