Friday, September 21, 2007

Looking Forward

My senior year at Auburn, I was listed among a group of 50 or so seniors that were considered prominent on campus, due to our campus involvement. (In other words, whoever made the list wasn’t looking at my grades.) The staff at our beloved annual, the Glomerata, sent all of us on the list a page of five questions. The answer to one of the questions would be placed next to your picture in the Glom. These were things like, “Why Did You Come To Auburn?”, “What is your greatest accomplishment?”, and “What advice would you give incoming freshman?” Proud to be recognized (i.e. full of myself), I responded with what I thought were well thought-out, inspirational answers.

When I got my Glom, one of the things I looked at was the section where the 50 of us were listed. I read through what everyone wrote. Many people had written things that can only be called job-interview type answers, putting your best impression forward. I then looked at my picture. They had chosen my answer for “advice to incoming freshmen.” I read what I had written so many months ago, and thought to myself, “What a crock?!” I should have answered that what I could teach incoming freshmen was the words to Louie Louie. However, there it was. My B.S. answer recorded for all time and I couldn’t do a thing about it.

Which brings us to this season. The last two games have felt like huge mistakes that, unfortunately, are now recorded for all time. We can’t change the past. We can only go forward…and kick @$$ from here on out. The whipping begins on Saturday night at 6:00 p.m. CST.

No comments: