Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Long Wait

I lived in Oregon for twelve years before returning to the South 18 months ago. One of the things I liked about living in the Northwest was Saturday mornings during college football season. Being on PST, I could turn on ESPN and watch College GameDay at 7:30 a.m. I could brew a pot of coffee, make breakfast, and watch in the early morning. The first kickoff would be at 9:00 a.m. This did present a problem if Auburn was playing at 9:00 a.m., as these were always regional broadcasts. You couldn’t get JP Sports/Lincoln Financial Sports in Oregon, so you had to go to a sports bar.

Yeah, good luck finding one open at 9:00 a.m. Actually, my Auburn friends and I in the Northwest did find places that opened at 10:00 a.m. and let us in early to watch while they prepared for the mid-day rush. (Note to the staffs at Damon’s Grill: Thanks again!)

Here, back on EST again though, the first kickoff is not until Noon. You might think that I could sleep in. Yet, my kids still rise on Saturdays between 7-8:00 a.m., so I get up, brew a pot of coffee, and make breakfast. And I wait for 10:30 to arrive.

With tonight’s game not kicking off until late, I know, however, that it will be a day even longer than usual. Being the late game on ESPN2, the Auburn game will likely not finish until midnight. It’s days like this that drive my wife insane, as I seem to watch all day. It gives me more reason to get nervous. Also, I broke one of my cardinal rules, I actually bet on Auburn today. Granted, it was only for coffee and I couldn’t ignore the opportunity for straight up bet.

I do think Auburn will win. I have less trepidation than I had last week. There are too may people saying that Auburn is an upset victim waiting to happen today, so the team won’t be caught unawares. (Not that it would be hard, given that USF has knocked off a Top 10 opponent each of the last two seasons, including a 24-19 shocking of West Virginia in Morgantown, the place where Auburn opens the 2008 season.

One final note: Not many Auburn fans realize this, but last week’s match was a home-and-home one. Auburn will pay a visit to K-State…in 2014.

War Eagle!

No comments: