Sunday, July 8, 2007

Crossing The Border Of Toyland

Growing up, one of my least favorite Christmas carols was Toyland. It was such a sad song that I could not understand what it had to do with a Merry Christmas. Not until I was an adult did I understand that the song was a metaphor for growing up, saying that one can never be a kid again.

Today, I had to re-visit that song. After church, my family and I went to the IKEA in downtown Atlanta. For those of you that have never heard of the place, IKEA is Swedish furniture/housewares retailer that specializes in ready-to-assemble items. IKEA stores are huge and it is like a maze getting in and out of one. The place in Atlanta has two cafeterias and a play area for kids in addition to the shopping.

The idea of going to the place was planned out: my wife shopping, me reading in one of the cafes, and the boys in the play area. However, I was surprised to find out that my older son exceeded the height limit for the play area. I explained it to him. He's getting older, taller, and just growing up. The play area did let him, but my son understood it would be his last time. I was proud of him. He's still a kid, but today he took his first step out of Toyland.

No comments: